Friday, May 13, 2011

This Is Not About Me

I love to be in control. I thrive in situations that I can easily and quickly fix. And I get a rush out of completing tasks. This is not always a good thing, especially considering my two jobs are roles in ministry: raising 3 children to love and fear the Lord, and supporting volunteers in Children’s Ministry here at Grace. Neither of my jobs lend themselves to having projects with a beginning and an end, making it difficult for me to feel like I am accomplishing anything. I often lose sight of God’s purpose and begin to place on others my own standards, sympathies and expectations. Sometimes, with my bent for control in order to maintain comfort and ease, I can treat my children, volunteers, my husband, friends and family like projects to be fixed and completed. I do not keep God’s best for them my top goal and desire.

I know this way of treating others and not depending on God is sinful, and God in His grace has gently reminded me of another way. Two weekends ago, our Pastor of Group Life, Scott Mozingo, began a new series on being Culturally Engaged in our adult worship services. Through God’s word, Scott reminded me that the message I must convey is Jesus. And the message is Jesus’ message, not my own. Whether I am talking with one of my children about obedience or trying not to panic about volunteer needs and force someone to serve, my responsibility is to present, not persuade. I am not in control, nor should I be, of winning them over.

Oswald Chambers, in My Utmost for His Highest, put it this way: “It is impossible for us to have living and vital intercession unless we are perfectly and completely sure of God. And the greatest destroyer of that confident relationship to God, so necessary for intercession, is our own personal sympathy and preconceived bias. Identification with God is the key to intercession. God gives us discernment in the lives of others to call us to intercession for them, never so that we may find fault with them.” (May 3)

What a comfort this is to me! Remembering God’s truth, I now have the freedom to let Him lead others instead of trying to fix what I think is broken. I have the privilege of praying for them and coming alongside them, instead of trying to force them into a mold they were never meant to go in. And I can perform my jobs with joy and patience, knowing that I do not have to fix anything, but that God will provide a way and answer as He sees fit.

- Molly Burns, Saturday Night Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment