Thursday, May 5, 2011

Role Models, Examples, and Mentors


This is a job that we all have, whether we want it or not. We are role models, examples, and mentors. We have the opportunity to mold, change, encourage, and inspire people.

I went on a date with my youngest son, who is six, this past weekend. I love having those precious moments. He acts all grown up. He wants to pay for our meal. He remembers all of his manners, even opening my car door. I always get overwhelmed with love in these moments. It is easy for me to be focused on setting the right example for him on our date, because I am thinking specifically of modeling what I hope that he will look for when he is ready for the step of marriage (not anytime soon!) This is just a moment in time.

There are so many other times (basically all day) that I am still being a role model, example, and mentor. How do I react to my boys when I am trying to work on a project and they are arguing? Do I use my words to encourage others when I am tired. Do I put my husband before other things? Do I give freedom to fail? How do I handle disappointment and frustration? Do I serve others or do I want to be waited on? These are just a few questions that are answered everyday.

I all of these examples, my boys are watching me. They are looking to see how I will react. What am I showing them? Do my actions match what my words say about God?

I know that I fail in so many ways, but I also know that God has given me a job. Train up my children. Training isn't just changing their actions. Training involves sharing my heart with them. I need to be honest with them. I need to apologize a lot. I want them to know that I need forgiveness. I need to share with them when I am disappointed and angry. I need to share what God is teaching me. I need to listen...Be still...Allow God to work through me.

Proverbs 31:26, "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue." Lord, I need Your wisdom. I need You to speak through me because there is nothing good in me. Lord, help me to be faithful in my instruction. I need Your strength, because many days, I just don't have the strength to correct and instruct anymore.

There are so many different stages and seasons of life, so each stage and season will look differently in being a role model, example, and mentor. Ask your mentors and those in your community how you are doing in the stage that you are in.

- Kathryn Sanders, Powdersville Campus Children's Director

No comments:

Post a Comment