Friday, April 2, 2010

Theology Matters

I've said before that I am not an expert on theology, at least not at the same level as many of the other pastors on staff. The following video shows why it is crucial to grow in your knowledge about God. (If the video is not working, you can view it here or here.)



Here are some of my favorite lines from this video:
"What we know about God shapes the way we think and live."
"You can study [God] the way you study a sunset that you leaves you speechless."
"We're all theologians. The question is whether what we know about God is true."
Do you want to grow in your theology, to know more about Him and His ways, so that you can better live a life of discipleship in Christ?  Here are a few books that can help:
  1. Dug Down Deep (Joshua Harris). The above video is actually a promotion for this book.
  2. Big Truths for Young Hearts (Bruce Ware). We have had a number of excerpts from this book on this blog.  (You can search by the label.) Great for parents of children around ages 5-14. 
  3. Knowing God (JI Packer). This is for the serious theologian. Worth reading, but it's so deep that it's easy to get bogged down. It took me a long time to get through it, and I am sure I only got a fraction out of it.
  4. Mere Christianity (CS Lewis). I agree with most of his theology, but at the least CS Lewis is a great thinker with sharp logic. I have read this book several times, each time gleaning more and more knowledge.
--  Joey Espinosa

    No comments:

    Post a Comment