Thursday, February 24, 2011

Remembering the Big Picture

When I was asked to write a blog post, I was completely caught off guard. I had no idea what I was going to write about. I didn't think that I had anything to offer. I'm not in a relationship, nor do I have any children. I'm a twenty-one year old who spends all of her time working a part-time job and going to school full-time. All I pretty much do is work, study, and sleep. After I sat down and started to try and come up with something to write about, I was surprised, and then not really surprised, with what I came up with.

All of my time is literally dedicated to work and school, and the few free hours I found I spent on myself because I felt like I deserved those hours. That part wasn't so surprising. What was surprising is I was completely forgetting about something that's so much more important than school and work. And that's my relationship with God. Yes, I do go to adult worship on Sunday mornings, and yes, I go to community group on Sunday where I am also doing a Bible study. But in reality, my mind right now is so obsessed with my own personal life that I'm not even taking time to ask God for help through all of this. That I'm reading my psychology book instead of the Bible. God wants me to come to Him about everything, and I'm the one taking that and saying I can handle all of it, and I can control what goes on in my life, without even realizing that I'm doing it!

It's so easy, at least for me, to get caught up, obsessed with, and overwhelmed with what and how I want my life to turn out. With whatever season of life I'm in, whether it's getting married, getting a degree, or starting a family; I know that the number one thing that I need to do is trust in God, that He knows what He's doing, and that He is never going to give me something that I can't handle. I can make all the plans in the world, like right now I'm going to school to be a paramedic, but maybe that's not what God has planned for me. I'm going to have to be ok with that if it doesn't work out. I'm never going to know what or how things are going to change, and I know that I need to trust Him with those changes!


After writing this blog post, it has really opened my eyes to the big picture. I guess you could say that I got "tunnel vision" on what I thought were the major things going on in my life, and forgot about everything else. I thought that I had nothing to offer to anyone else, that I had nothing of importance to write about. I am now glad that I was asked to write a blog. It really made me take a look at myself, to take a step outside of my own personal bubble, and see the things that need to change! In the end, I did have something to offer and something of importance, but it was mainly for me!

- Jessica Hopkins, Preschool Administrative Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment