Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Meet Our Kairos Interns!

This summer, we have almost 20 college students taking part in the Kairos internship at Grace. Three of those students are helping us in Children's Ministry. Michelle Phillips is our full-time intern, and Caleb Phillips and Katie Horton are shared between Children's Ministry and Student Ministry. Over the summer, you will probably see each of them serving in various areas, so make sure to welcome them into Children's Ministry!


Michelle Phillips
My name is Michelle Phillips, I am twenty years old and have just begun my journey interning here at Grace Church, working primarily with the Children’s Ministry. I am originally from Rochester, New York, and my family, including my mother’s parents, moved down here to Greenville in 1992. I was raised by my amazing mother and father, Keith and Linda Phillips, who are members here at Grace Church and mostly attend the Pelham Road campus. I also have one older brother, who is 23 and is a computer science major at USC Upstate, named Tom Phillips. My family started going to Grace Church when I was in seventh grade and have been ecstatic and so happy with our experiences so far!
Since I mainly grew up here in Greenville, I attended the local schools. I went to Mitchell Road Christian Academy from K-5 all the way up through eighth grade. Following that influential education, I attended Eastside High School, where I was involved with volleyball and soccer. Now, I am currently a junior at Clemson University studying Elementary Education. I have always had a huge passion and love for children, helping to shape their lives and observing their life transitions, spiritually and in the classroom. Living with such a passion for children has led me to want a career involving them. Ideally, I hope to have my own second or third grade classroom where I can touch the lives of many types of children. Also, I have been praying about whether or not to do mission work with my degree. For example, possibly teaching in Allendale, SC or a city of that sort with low test scores and teachers in need of a fresh perspective!
All of this information about me and my life pointed me straight to the Kairos internship here at Grace this summer. I joined Kairos because I could feel God tugging at my heart and telling me, this is where I need to me. It matched up perfectly with where I am in my life. I have been given the opportunity to be humbled and to love on all the kids at Grace, and grow in my walk with Christ. Also, I am super excited about working alongside all of the staff here. Being able to freely interact with the pastoral staff and the general staff members is something that truly excites me, not only in getting to know them, but getting to see how God has placed them in my life to change me.
This just being my first full week with Kairos, I have a few expectations. I have a huge desire to see God work in my life. I am so in love with my God and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for me and the other interns! Also, I hope to develop more skills and gain knowledge about dealing with children and how to effectively work in their lives! All in all I am so excited to see what this summer has in store for me and how it will change my life!


Caleb Phillips
My name is Caleb Phillips and I am from Garden City Beach, South Carolina. I will be a junior at North Greenville University where I will major in Christian Studies. After college, I plan on attending seminary and serving in a church leadership position working with children and students. I was born in Jackson, Mississippi on April 17,1991 to Gary and Keri Phillips. I lived in Quitman, Mississippi through elementary school then moved to the South Carolina coast. My dad, Gary, is the Administrator at the Garden City Chapel and Retreat in Garden City Beach. My mom is the Director of the Special Education Department at St. James High School in Murrells Inlet. 
I joined the Kairos internship program because I was searching for a place to serve where I could determine my strengths and weaknesses and discern to which area of ministry God is calling me. This internship will allow me a great opportunity to achieve those goals. This summer I am excited about being able to disciple students and children while being led and directed by pastors with far greater wisdom and experience than I possess. I am excited about the teaching I will be receiving throughout the summer and how I will be challenged by it. I am looking forward to a great summer and can’t wait to see what God has in store for my life and Grace Church.


Katie Horton
My name is Katie Horton, and I am one of the Kairos Children’s ministry interns for the summer! While I am new to Grace Church, I have lived in Greenville my entire life. I am one of three children, and live at home with my parents during the summer. My dad, Pepper, is an accountant and my mom, Lori, is an administrator at a local Christian school. My brothers, Chris (17) and Noah (12) keep things at home very interesting, and I enjoy hanging out with them! I am a rising Junior Early Childhood Education major at Clemson University and absolutely LOVE my tigers! After school I hope to either teach, do mission work or work in a church. I’m hoping that I’ll narrow down some of those options this summer!
My aunt, a member at Grace, sent me an email about the Kairos program and what an answer to prayer it was! I had been praying about community for this summer through a local church, and also had a strong desire not only grow, but to disciple others in their walk with Christ. Kairos answered all of these prayers in so many ways, and I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed me with this opportunity. He has made it very evident that this is exactly where He wants me to be, and that He has a lot in store for me for this summer. My internship is split between Children’s ministry and the youth ministry at Powdersville, and I am so excited to get to hang out with youth of all ages. I have a feeling that the Lord will humble me through this summer, and I am looking forward to seeing the growth and heart change that will occur. I am so grateful to Grace Church for providing this opportunity and for taking time to pour into all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment