Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Experience At The Seder

This past weekend, I had the chance to help and participate in the Passover Seder service offered to our elementary students. I had heard about it from my elementary-age child, friends and coworkers, but until Saturday had not had the chance to see it for myself.

Serving on Saturday nights, the crowd is definitely smaller than on Sunday mornings. With less than 25 students this past Saturday, the feel was much more intimate. The students had the freedom to ask questions and voice concerns, and even share triumphs. One child raised his hand and said, “I did not want to eat that parsley, but I did anyway and it wasn’t that bad!”

In order to lead the students into a time of learning and worship, the facilitator of the Seder shared that this was an act of worship, to remember what God had done for His people the Israelites, and also for us, as His redeemed people. And that even if the kids didn’t understand exactly everything they were being told (and there is a lot of information to take in!) and if they didn’t want to try everything offered, that they still needed to be reverent and respectful. Here are a few of my favorite moments:

Ryan, my husband, was the facilitator that evening. He tells the kids, “There are some things on our plates tonight that I don’t like to eat. But tonight, I am going to eat them. Do you know why?” To which a child answered, “Because it’s free?” Another time, after explaining the meal, Ryan tried to review and asked, “So what’s one thing we’ll be eating tonight?” “Chicken!!” someone excitedly yelled.

There were approximately 6 cups of grape juice spilled, an entire roll of paper towels used, some kids using the matzah like spoons to scoop up heaping servings of applesauce, and a few noses held as the horseradish was passed around. As funny as some of these “kids will be kids” moments were, I was also very humbled. Humbled that God had brought our family to a church that gives our children the opportunity to learn in new and exciting ways the history and truth surrounding Christ as the Lamb of Sacrifice. Humbled that God has given us so many ways to remember what He has done for us in Jesus. Humbled that I cannot remember enough what He has done for me on the cross. And the next time we talk about the Seder, the parsley or horseradish or applesauce, that we’ll remember the sacrifice that Jesus was for us on the cross.

- Molly Burns, Saturday Night Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment