- Children are created in the image of God, so that His glory can be reflected and made known (Genesis 1:26-27).
- Children, like all people, are innately sinners, not innocent (Romans 3:23).
- Children are a blessing from the Lord (Psalm 127:3).
- Children are commanded to obey their parents (Ephesians 6:1). For a child to disobey his parents is equivalent to him disobeying God.
- It is primarily the role of parents (not culture, government, school, or church) to shepherd and train their children (Deuteronomy 6:6-7; Hebrews 12:7-11). However, we should take advantage of other resources, but always knowing that the main direction and energy must come from God empowering parents to lead their own children.
- God is sovereign; He is not surprised by anyone having a special need, nor does He see special needs as an "accident" (Psalm 139:13-14).
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
discussion of special needs, we need to give a brief theology about children, directly from Scripture. Here is a representative sample of biblical principles and references that should shape our worldview: