- What affects my child's behavior and choices? It is both external shaping influences and the child's internal Godward orientation that affects his behavior. Your role as a parent is to provide the best influences possible, while also shepherding his heart responses to all external influences.
- How much should I focus on my child's behavior? Look at the behavior only as a tool to understand your child's heart. The heart is the source of behavior.
- Who is God's primary agent in training my child? God has made you the parent His agent. My goals and methods should be God-ordained, not determined by man.
- What is the ultimate goal of parenting? To help your children know that only in glorifying and enjoying God will they find fulfillment.
- Does the method matter? Yes, the means is as important as the end. Our children must see that we are trying to live by the Gospel and God's word.
- What are the main child training methods presented in the Bible? Communication and the rod. To neglect either one will be a severe handicap in training your child's heart.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
In chapters 1-12, Tripp gave us general principles on child training. I will summarize these in a series of questions for parents.